Sunday, March 15, 2009

Welcome to My Blog

Hi and welcome. Why "Wrapped in Threads"? Well I seem to always be surrounded with threads be it sewing threads or threads from spinning, weaving or knitting. And as it sometimes goes I have so many ongoing projects I literally feel like I am wrapped in threads from head to toe. Currently I am working on a few costumes which I hope to see the end of later this week. Also I have a couple of hours of work for another performance.

As weaving has also become a focus again, I am trying to weave daily even if it is only for 10 minutes. I had stopped weaving for a few years. The floor loom I had been using went back to it's owner and I had, stupidly, given most of my other stuff away. In the in between years I have been collecting antique treadle sewing machines so space is now at a premium. My new to me loom is a large table loom by Leclerc. It is the Iris model but she is named Patience. She stands on legs and is a 4 harness loom.

Using some yarn I had purchased awhile ago I had to relearn warping a loom. I took my time and looked at some books. I am using a Finnish Bird's Eye pattern from Marguarite P Davison's book. The yarn is 2 shades of mauve and about an 2/8 (or 8/2 for all you folks south of the border) acrylic. Sett is 15 EPI. It is turning out quite well but heavier than I had first thought. It is like upholstery fabric so I think I will make it into a carpet bag for my mom.

Well sewing is calling and my loom is standing idle.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!

    Welcome to blogging!! (And welcome back to weaving!)

    I'll be really interested in following your carpet bag progress. I started trying to figure one out last spring for a study group project - and the sewing seemed a bit beyond me. Plus I couldn't find a sewing pattern that I really liked - and I'm not a super strong sewer.

    Now that project is on the shelf because of things going on in the group - but I still have the dream of making some kind of carpet bag at some point.

    Anyway, welcome to blogging! Hope to see you here often!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too wish to welcome you to the Weave Ring, but I'd better warn you that it makes you weave like mad. I seem to be weaving twice as quicky as I was before I blogged. It's a great incentive program....

    ReplyDelete